Important Details about Kidney Transplant
In case of Kidney transplant in Iran, the blood group of the patient must be compatible with that of the donor, who should be his family member, between the age group of 18 to 65 years.
This is mandatory under the country’s human transplant act.
The patient and the donor need to undergo certain detailed tests as per the investigation before the transplant takes place.
This takes around 7-15 days. Once the donor gets the approval of the authorization committee, the transplant is performed.
The embassy of the patient’s country in Iran then verifies all the documents and certificate proofs of the recipient and the donor’s relationship.
The patient would have to stay at the guest house for investigations before the transplant.
Please mail us the donor’s report so that the doctors at the preferred hospital can review them.
Kidney Transplant Evaluation Surgery
Post Discharge Stay
10 Days Recipient Stay – 10 Days, Donors stay – 5 Days
- This package also includes OPD charges of the patient and the donor.
- The patient would be coming to Iran on Medical Visa.
- For kidney transplant, it is also required that the patient must bring along a donor from his own family who has a compatible blood group type.
- 10-day stay for the patient and 5-day for the donor
- Evaluation for the patient and the donor before the transplant, excluding DNA/HLA, typing
- Charges of the lab for both the patient and the donor after the operation for ten days, including Histopathology
- Post-surgery radiology for patient and donor
- Charges of OT, Machine, OT/Ward consumptions of donor and patient
- One dialysis before the surgery and one after, if required
- Blood transfusion Service (4 units of blood and three units of FFP)
- A fee of the surgeon for the patient and the donor
- Anesthesia for both
- Charges of Graft biopsy if needed within nine days
- For a diabetic patient, Diabetology review and consultation with the doctor
- Re- an exploration of both within the days of the package
- Patient’s stay for more than ten days and donor’s stay for more than five days
- Few medications such as TPN, ganciclovir, IVIg, plasma expanders, blockers, ATG, IL2 receptors including TPN
- In case of complications in biopsy after nine days, any corrective surgery requirement
- The occurrence of heart disease or Invasive cardiac imaging, if needed before or after surgery
- Cross match and HLA typing
- If the donor stay’s in a room of a higher category, the room rent would be extra
The real cost of the treatment would be decided by the treating hospital, once the patient’s complete examination has been done.
For stabilization before the transplant, the patient needs dialysis, whose cost would be according to the actuals.
The cost of single sitting might be somewhere around USD 140 including:
- 1. Single dialysis sitting (fresh dialyzer along with a snack for patient
- 2. Eprex-4000 in injection for every sitting
Exclusion: Access charges like I-J catheter
There are three slots for dialysis- morning, afternoon and evening.
Before a slot is given to the patient, his convenience is also considered:
- 7:30 am – 11:30 am (morning)
- 12:00 noon – 4:00 pm (afternoon)
- 4:30 pm – 8:30 pm (evening)
Kidney Transplant’s Pre-conditions:
- The donor should be a first-degree family member with the same or compatible blood group.
Other relatives can also be considered but with proper documents and DNA typing to support their relationship.
- The donor should be mentally and physically fit
- He/She should be between the age group of 18 and 60 years
- The donor should not be suffering from chronic diseases such as HIV, Severe Hypertension, Hbs Ag, Diabetes, etc.
- The donor and the attendant should be near relatives.
Necessary Formalities to be completed in Iran:
Obtaining No Objection Certificate from the respective embassy in Iran.
Furnish the following documents at the Nigerian Embassy:
- A letter on the hospital’s letterhead telling that the patient is undergoing the treatment
- Old medical reports and health records
- A small summary of the case or medical history of the patient (if referred)
- An affidavit from the local government authority stating that the patient and the donor are relatives (mandatory for all Foreign Patients).
- Ten photographs each (patient and donor)
- Salary slip or bank statement of both patient and donor as the Income proof
- The consent form the next of kin of donor on a stamp paper that should carry donor’s and kin’s photograph, duly pasted. In case the donor is a cousin, the next of kin must be present at the Transplant Authorization Committee.
- Birth certificate or marriage certificate etc. as proof of relation
The patient is required to go to the SDM office along with the donor and the relative for getting the affidavit of the donor, attested by him.
Following documents are needed at the SDM office:
- A letter on the hospital’s letterhead is telling me that the patient is undergoing the treatment.
- NOC from the Embassy
- Affidavit patient
- Affidavit donor
- Affidavit relative
Notary attests the affidavits of the patient and the relative. This takes a time of a day or two.
After the affidavits get attested, these documents are taken to the Authorization Committee of the hospital for approval.
At the same time, the concerned doctors conduct some important tests on the patient and the donor.
All this takes around two weeks.
Details of total stay in Iran
The patient stay must be in the guest house before the transplant, for investigations.
The hospital stay includes a day before the surgery and then nine days after the surgery, along with 30 days in the guest house for the follow-up treatment.