What is Tendon Repair?
Tendon repair is the surgical procedure where the tendon is damaged.
The tendons are a cord-like structures that are strong fibrous connective tissue which connects the muscles to bones.
The most affected areas by tendon injuries are the knee, ankle joints, and elbow.
The purpose is to restore or repair the normal function the regular function of the joints by following a tendon laceration.
Tendon Repair Flexor
There are two tendons that run on the palm side in every finger.
The tendons usually go in a narrows down in the tunnel.
The first tendon runs to the fingertip and bends the end joint while the second tendon runs to the middle bone and bends the first finger joint.
If one or both tendons are cut or injured, a person can never be able to bend his finger.
Tendon Repair Extensor
The function of the Achilles tendon is to join the underneath of the muscle to heel, behind the ankle.
The Achilles tendon allows to point out the foot either down or raise the heel.
The problem of Achilles tendon rupture usually happens in men in between the forties to fifties while playing sports like badminton or squash.
If the tendon is not repaired, the person can never be able to bend his foot down with strength.
This problem can lead to the inability to stand on tiptoes or finding difficult to go upstairs.
Shoulder Tendon repair (Rotator Cuff)
The function of the rotator cuff is to make the arm move. It is the collection of tendons over the top of the shoulder.
The reason behind the torn tendon could be a tendon rubbing against the bone above.
If a person has a torn rotator, he or she will face pain in moving or using their arms.
The other major problem could be difficulty in lifting the arm above the shoulder height.
Achilles Tendon Rupture
Achilles tendon (heel cord) rupture happens when there is a sharp pain at the back of the ankle and on the lower leg.
This problem makes it difficult to walk properly.
The person feels as if he has been shot or kicked badly.
Overstretching of the tendon can lead to its tear or rupture.
The tear usually happens above the person’s heel bone, but the tear can also occur anywhere along the tendon.
The rupture can either be partial or complete. The surgical repair is required to heal the tendon rupture.
Achilles Tendon Rupture Symptoms
- Inability in walking properly or difficulty in bending the foot down
- If the tendon is completely ruptured, then it poses difficulty to rise on the toes on the injured leg
- Severe swelling and pain near the heel
The causes that resulted in repeated stress on the Achilles tendon include:
- Flat feet
- Weak calf muscles
- Ill-fitting or worn-out shoes
- Running on hard surfaces and hills
- Tight calf muscles
- Poor stretching habits
Rotator Cuff Repair
It is made of a group of 4 tendons and connected muscles that stabilize the shoulder joint and enables the person to rotate and raise their arm.
The joint of the shoulder is basically a ball and socket joint having three bones such as the humerus (the upper arm), clavicle (the collarbone) and scapula (the shoulder blade).
All these major bones are connected by tendons, the joint capsule, ligaments, and muscles.
The purpose of the rotator cuff is to hold the ball of the arm seated into the socket of the shoulder blade.
The surgery is performed to repair the worn-out tendon in the shoulder.
Rotator Cuff Repair Procedure
- The surgery starts first by removing the fragments of the bursa, other debris and tendon from inside the shoulder at the point of movement of the rotator cuff.
- The next step is to make the space enough for the rotator cuff tendon to avoid it from irritation.
This may also include removing the bone spurs or shaving the bone from the tip of the shoulder blade.
- In the last step, the supraspinatus tendon’s torn edges are sewn and at the peak of the humerus bone (upper arm).
Rotator Cuff Repair Benefits
- The surgery improves the working of the shoulder
- The patient feels a great improvement in performing the daily activities
- With the help of the surgery, the patient can regain the lost function and comfort of the shoulders.
- The surgery can repair the tendon back to the bone from where it has been torn provided the good tissue quality and quantity.
Patella Tendon Repair
The patella tendon is a structure which connects the patella (kneecap) to the shin bone.
It works with the muscles in the front of your thigh (quadriceps) to straighten the leg.
The problem can occur in anyone but is generally seen in the middle-aged people who are involved in jumping or running sports.
The eccentric contraction happens when the quadriceps muscles contract, and the knee is vigorously straightened.
This puts a lot of stress on the tendon.
Cost of Tendon Repair
The patients from all the world visits to avail treatments in Iran as the cost of surgeries and treatments are extremely low.
The cost is about 50 % less in Iran as compared to the developed countries of the UK, and the U.S.